Mai Chau and Pu Luong Trekking Tour 10 Days
You will enjoy a wonderful 10-day trekking of North Vietnam. Your journey will begin in Hanoi. The following day you will trek to Mai Chau for approximately 6 km. You will admire the life of the local Thai population during trekking, especially those residing in the village of Pom Coong. The day after, be prepared for the longest trekking so far, around 21 km. During this, you will reach the H’mong village. During the 4th day, you will have the chance to observe how diverse Vietnam’s people are, by trekking through the local minorities’ villages. You will spend the next two days in Pu Loung. Finally, the final three days of the tour will be spent at the Hin village and Hanoi.
Arrival in Hanoi. In the evening you will meet your trekking guides, who will brief you on the tour, before enjoying a tasty Vietnamese dinner. Spend the night in Hanoi.
Day 2: Hanoi - Mai Chau - Poom Coong (B, L, D)
Early rise in the morning for departure towards Mai Chau, to the southwest, passing through plump hills and karsts of limestone. Following lunch, you will have a chance to walk around Pom Coong village, home of the Thai people. For dinner there will be BBQ, while enjoying a local music and dance performance. Spend the night with a Pom Coong family.
Day 3: Mai Chau - Xa Linh - Hang Kia - Cun Pheo (B, L, D)
Drive to Xa Linh village, which will serve as the starting line of your trek. Walk through a combination of streambeds, paths and abrupt jungle hillsides, towards your lunch destination –a H’mong village.
On the afternoon the trekking follows a downhill route, through paths that cross small streams, circle around hamlets and pass suspension bridges. Admire the breathtaking background of the Mai Chau valley as you get to the Cun Pheo village. Spend the night at the village.
Day 4: Cun Pheo - Van Mai - Hang Tribe village (B, L, D)
Today’s trek will be all about Vietnam’s diversity; you will pass along local villages where the region’s local minorities reside. Following lunch, you will drive to the village of Sai, to trek towards Han Village, a true oasis in the center of the natural reserve of Pu Luong. The path you will take follows a historical route that used to belong to the Ho Chi Minh trail, which served as a supply line for the resistance during the Vietnam War; now it is a peaceful area, excellent for walking in the late afternoon. Spend the night at Hang Village.
Day 5: Trekking the hills of Pu Luong (B, L, D)
The trek of the day will take you hiking along village paths for half of the day, and on unpaved French roads for the other half. Take an afternoon break for relaxation and lunch with a local family in the village of Pak Kha and continue towards the next village, situated between abrupt mountains of karts, following an old jeep road. Early arrival will ensure you are fresh enough to take a 2-hour hike towards an amazingly large, newly discovered cave, hidden by hanging vegetation and thickets, on high ground. Spend the night at Kho Muong.
Day 6: Pu Luong Market Trek - Hin Village (B, L, D)
Today’s schedule includes downhill trekking towards the only market in Nature Reserve. Look around until lunch time, which will be offered by a local family. Following lunch you will begin trekking at the valley floor for an hour or so and then uphill towards the village of Hin, over a small mountain, where you will spend the night. The village is located by a small river that offers a great chance for a swim. You have the choice of exploring the beautiful architecture and the multiple hamlets that are scattered through the valley, or simply relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings. Spend the night with a local family at the village.
Day 7: Hin Village - Hanoi (B, L, D)
This is the last day of the trekking journey, where you will walk out of the valley, into the mountains, passing through small hamlets and meeting local farmers working in their fields, before passing the river on your way uphill. Pass through fields of rice and deep green mountains before reaching the Ban Son village, your next lunch stop. Following lunch, you will take a 1-hour hike to the Ban Ba village, following a dirt road. A driver will pick you up there and take you to Hanoi, where you will arrive in the late afternoon. Rest and refresh before having dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant. Spend the night in Hanoi.
Day 8: Hanoi - Halong (B, L, D)
- 07: 30 - 07: 45Departure from your hotel. Ride to Halong Bay. Gaze at the tranquil settings as we pass through the countryside, field and the Red River delta.
- 10: 30Short break on the way
- 12: 30Arrival at Hon Gai docks- Get acquainted with the captain and the crew and enjoy a welcome drink, information regarding the cruise, safety briefing and, finally, check in your cabin.
- 13: 00Have fresh seafood for lunch while heading for the floating village of Vong Vieng, passing by amazingly shaped island
- 15: 30Stop at Vong Vieng: visit schools, local houses, fish farm, and discuss with the local fishermen. If you wish, you can also swim. Alternatively, you can try kayak (you row for yourself). Kayaking costs $10 per passenger, unless you have pre-paid for it.
- 17: 00Return to the boat, to continue the cruise towards Luom Bo while admiring
- 19: 00Dinner time
- 21: 00Spend the night in your cabin or opt for night fishing. Either way, you spend the night on board.
Day 9: Halong - Hanoi (B, L)
- 06: 30Have your morning cup of coffee or tea while gazing at Halong Bay’s landscape.
- 07: 30Time for light breakfast
- 08: 30Sung Sot cave is up for exploration –one of the most beautiful caves in the area
- 09: 30Return to the boat, continue the journey while relaxing and admiring the amazing beauty of the Bay.
- 10: 30Have lunch on board while heading to the pier through Halong Bay.
- 11: 30Cabin check-out.
- 12: 00Arrival at Hon Gai docks.
- 12: 30Return to Hanoi from Halong.
- 14: 30Visit a ceramics workshop in Dong Trieu on the way.
- 16: 30Hanoi arrival.
Spend the night in Hanoi.
Day 10: Hanoi Departure (B)
Last day is at your disposal to do sightseeing or last-minute shopping before transport to the airport, to catch your flight.
Price and quality are our strong points. In the unlikely event that a competitor offers the same itinerary for less, give a call to our Sales Manager and we will match their offer.Free Quote
Inclusions of the trip
- English speaking guide throughout
- Local guide for trekking days
- Private air-conditioned car for transfer as itinerary except trekking days.
- Moto-bikes for luggage and back up.
- All transfers airport in Vietnam
- Bai Tho traditional junk in Halong, private boat.
- Sightseeing tickets where require in the itinerary except free days.
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- Snack, water and local fruits for trekking days.
- Accommodation as itinerary in twin shared room/ Homestay with daily breakfast
Exclusions of the trip
- International air ticket to/from Vietnam and international airport departure tax.
- Visa to Vietnam. Please ensure to get visa before departure.
- Tips for guide, driver, porter at hotel, waiter in restaurant
- Beverage and alcoholic drinks.
- Personal expenditure (telephone, laundry, camera films and so on...)
- Personal travel insurance
- Any other services not clearly mentioned in the itinerary and in the trip inclusive portion
Tailor Your Tour
Just let us know your requirements, We will then adapt this tour and create a unique quote based on your individual needs.Tailor Your Tour
Why Choose Us
High quality of serviceWe keep our tourist destinations, hotels, and other attractions reviewed constantly to ensure that their standards are up to date, and suitable for your trip. You can call our Vietnam phone number at any time of day, any day of the week, if you need help. During your trip, you won't be forced to stop anywhere so you can buy products you don't need (as is the case for many other East Asian tours).
Planning trips is efficient and convenientWe offer many tips which you can apply directly to your journey. You don't need to worry about anything--there are no hassles whatsoever. You can make as many changes to the plan as you'd like, for no additional charge.
Amazing customization optionsYou can customize every part of your trip so that it's tailored specifically to your needs. You can travel on your own schedule, at your own pace.
You can change everythingSure, as we’ve said, you can plan trips so that they fit your needs. However, they are also so flexible that you can change them around as things change, whether that's circumstances or ideas. You can even make such changes while you're on the tour itself. The consulting services we offer you are absolutely free. The only fees due to changes that you'll have to pay for are those for third-party expenses taken on by Northern Vietnam Holidays.
Discover Northern Vietnam the Way You WantViet Bamboo Travel has been in the business for more than a decade, so we definitely understand not only all the concerns you might have, but also how much you value your vacation time. Whether you're travelling in northern Vietnam to see the sights, experience a new culture, or have an adventure, we will help you every step of the way. We’ll help you create the perfect Vietnam tour, adapted to your needs and desires. So, all that being said, we hope you enjoy your trip! You're going to love exploring this country.